Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Your Hunger, My Hunger, Our Hunger ... Not Reliable!



So I am re-reading the No S Diet Book. I had a professor in college who told me that if I wanted to retain the knowledge that I read, it would be helpful to read the subject matter three times.

There is some truth to this in that it reminds you of things that you registered the first readings, but the amazing thing, is the things that you didn't register...

DID I READ THIS?

We have a lot of concern about hunger these days.

We are told to eat four, five, six, seven times a day. Mini-meals. Healthy snacks.
PRIMING OUR METABOLISM.

But Reinhard Engels points out in his slim tome that this is unnatural, even UNCIVILIZED, making the following point:

"Human beings in traditional societies didn't eat because they were hungry; food was too scarce and precious and hard to prepare for that. Our ancestors went hungry a lot."
I think that is kind of deep.
When you really stop and think about it.
It is really deep.
It kinds of puts food and eating in perspective.
And it is possible, that as Reinhard points at, that as hunger is a biological drive to assure that we do not starve to death,
in the world of 24/7 grocery stores, fast food joints and pizza delivery,
it is entirely possible that your hunger, my hunger, our hunger ....
is not an entirely trustworthy advisor as to when ...
and how much ....
to consume.
Just a thought!
Photo: Homemade rajma curry with cilantro and side salad of mixed greens, carrot, tomato, black olive and EVOO

No comments: