Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lindsay's Orchard


About two years ago I read a book called THE WORLD PEACE DIET. I have read different books through the years promoting a vegan and/or vegetarian diet but I had to say that this particular book had the most dramatic impact on me.
I immediately stopped eating all animal products because I did not want to "vote with my dollars" to support the horrendous, unbeleivable, mistreatment that occurs in the animal farm industry these days.
After being vegan for twenty-two months I felt like I needed to supplement my diet. I began eating organic yogurt and free range chicken eggs.
The eggs I buy are very special.
I do not buy them at any store.
I only buy them at the Farmer's Market form Lindsay's Orchard.
I only buy eggs there because often even though eggs at stores are marketed as free range the poor chickens still have very little chance to move around and are raised in less than ideal conditions.
Since I beleive eating an animal that has been tortured and tormented from the moment it has been born and has not known a day of joy on this planet is a needless thing to do I am happy that Lindsay's Orchard exists.
Earlier this month chicks were born.
Aren't they adorable?
They will have a chance to scratch in the dirt, eat insects and worms and feel the sun upon their little faces. They won't be debeaked and stuffed into cages that are so small they cannot even turn around. Stacked one on top of the other so feces drops on their heads. They will not be forced to abnormally produce eggs year round with artificial lighting.
These things are so important not only for our bodies, but also for our consicousness and our souls!
In honor of the curried egg salad sandwich that I ate for lunch today, I am sharing the joy of these cuties with you on my blog today!
Photo: Newborn chicks courtesy of Lindsay's Orchard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blue dear,

What happens to the chickens when they grow up? :):(

love f