Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Emotional Hunger"


The thing about No S is that it really makes my "emotional hunger" stand out. When I am engaged and focussed with whatever and/or whoever I am doing it with, emotional hunger is simply a non issue.

But whenever, I am faced with:

something I don't want to do
something I am afraid to do
someone I don't like
feeling uncomfortable about setting boundaries with someone

BUT MOSTLY
something I don't want to do

I get emotionally hungry. Apparently I just HATE to do things I don't want to do!

I.e. I would just rather eat or drink one of my drinky things instead of just walk through the uncomfortable stressful feelings.

I had a great morning. But the afternoon started slipping away quickly and it was looking like I had more to do than time to do it in.
It's not what happened, but along the way I thought A LOT more about my S day treat things than I have in the past two-and-half days,
because, well,
I have hardly thought about them at all the past two-and-a-half days.

It was a bit unnerving.
At the same time this is natural.
I have been using eating to deal with uncomfortable moments and uncomfortable emotions for more than forty years.

The beauty of No S is that I didn't do that today.
I acknowledged what was going on, what was stressing me out and just kept getting done the things that needed to get done.

At the end of the day, everything did get done and I still got to get a green square on my habitcal.

Nice!

Photo: Tofu sausage and steamed peas with salt, pepper and EVOO

No comments: