Sunday, May 11, 2008

Black Olive & Cream Dim Sum


I blogged a few days ago about my experience of going "raw" for about four months. Although I could not subsist forever on a raw food diet, I enjoyed some great new taste sensations along the way.

Now when summer is on its way and the farmer's market is overflowing with fresh fruits and vegetables I will on occasion pull out some of my favorite "raw" recipes and enjoy them.

This weekend I was fortunate to buy several ready and ripe avocados, PERFECT for Juliano's Black Olive and Cream Dim Sum. For those of you who are not familiar with the RAW world Juliano is to Raw Food as Emeril Lagasse is to Pork Fat ... Bam! Bam! Bam!

Okay for those of you who have absolutely idea what on earth I am talking about ... not to worry! We'll just move on....

Juliano's RAW: Uncook Book is one of the great tomes of the Raw Food World. His recipes are incredible and his sense of taste, seasoning, and unique perspective on ingredients ... just put a little bit of fresh chopped jalapeno in ... well, just about EVERYTHING make his Uncook Book one of the best alternative cook books to have around!

SO from Juliano's RAW with a few truly minor and modest adjustments the recipe for:

Black Olive & Cream Dim Sum

2 cups avocado
1/2 cup black olives pitted
1 1/2 teaspoons Celtic Sea Salt (the salt of choice for raw fooders and all other picky types)
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons cumin
the juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, microplaned and/or finely chopped
2 teaspoons ginger, microplaned and/or finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons minced jalapeno

Red Lettuce Leaves

In a bowl combine the avocado, olives, Celtic sea salt, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, red onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno. Spoon the mixture evenly into lettuce leaves. Seal (by rolling the leaf around the mixture) and serve.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

photo: Black Olive & Cream Dim Sum

2 comments:

Keturah said...

bluskighs,

Thanks for posting the fantastic recipe. I'll try it when I find some ripe avocados. I'm not a rawist, but, like you, I enjoy new foods and taste sensations.

Ciao!

Blueskighs said...

keturah,

it is a very nice twist on "guacamole" ... delish!

Blueskighs