Saturday, August 9, 2008

"Non-Foodie" Friday Nights

Friday afternoon I swung by our local Trader Joes to pick up one of my favorite treats -some mini peanut butter cups.
Gettting home and portioning them out in my little baggies for my S days got me to thinking about how incredible it was that I was actually doing what I was doing. In the past, I would have probably already opened the container and started chomping on those babies before I even got home because, let's face it, Friday was just another exuse for eating!
Although it can be emotionally difficult to stick with my healthy N day structures on Fridays and especially on Friday nights , I have come to beleive that this is one of the most powerful times for me to adhere.
It is like when I am in the gym trying to push a heavier weight. Yes it is hard. Yes it is uncomfortable. Yes it is stressful. And yes, it makes me stronger! When I stay "green" on Friday's I get the opportunity to separate "pleasure, relaxation, joy, freedom, and celebration" from "what am I going to eat".
This is powerful and profound. It forces me to find other ways to EXPRESS THE UTTER DELIGHT I always experience at the weeks end with something other than food. Like building my muscles in the gym, it makes me stronger.
It also does not take away at all from the pleasure that I can get from eating. It just means that eating is not my only source of pleasure. So interesting enough, I have come to REALLY enjoy the peace and satisfaction of my "Non-Foodie" Friday Nights!
WHO KNEW!
Photo: Trader Joes Mini Peanut Butter Cups

No comments: