Thursday, October 9, 2008

'Tis the Season


It's October 9th today and I realize that for me, 'tis the season.
My personal "binging season" is the beginning of October through the end of February.
NOTE: This does not mean I do not binge throughout the year, I do. It simply escalates significantly during this time of the year.
For me, my personal "binging season" has more to do with a series of events that happened during this time of the year in my early childhood, than the season per say, but the coupling of my own personal "anniversary season" with the culture's "food free for all" time of year can have pretty nasty consequences.
I think there has only been one year in my adult life I have not gone through a fairly significant weight gain in this time period, for example, last year I managed to put on about eleven pounds.
I remember ten years ago when my weight had dropped to 107 pounds and I beleive it was the first of October, walking through the grocery store and spying a pumpkin pie, I could FEEL the tidal wave coming. I didn't buy the pie that night but by November 30, I had eaten many pies, and pieces of cornbread with lots of honey butter on them, if I remember correctly.
So I have successfully passed my six month No S Diet anniversary and am settling into maintenance and here comes "the season".
I know that the last six-and-a-half months of building HABIT will probably hold me in good stead. Besides, I do not have to "forego" pie altogether now, I can have as much as I want on my S days and NWS days. That knowledge and trust within myself is a bulwark against binging in itself.
So even though I am AWARE that 'tis the season, my personal "binging season" as it were, I am feeling pretty comfortable with the No S Diet. There have already been two nights I basically just wanted to keep on eating, clean out the fridge, just not stop.
But I did. Stop. When I was done with my one plate/bowl meal.
Last night, it was get to bed early.
Another green N day.
A little bit deeper groove in my habit structure.
One meal at a time, one day at a time, I really BELEIVE this is going to be a DIFFERENT season.
Photo: Hickory Smoked Turkey Burger, Steamed Green Beans with EVOO, Peach

No comments: